2004 - 2008 F-150

Dealership said it couldn't be done!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership said it couldn't be done!

Well, I had one of those stick on keyless entry keypads installed when I first purchased the truck because they said it was my only option for keyless. Only problem is, first well I didn't like the look of it, and second when it got really cold out, below freezing, it would take forever for it to unlock my doors. The damn thing cost me 150 dollars! I bought the replacement handle from fordparts.com ($45) and asked the dealership to install it for me. They said if the truck didn't come with keyless from the factory it wouldn't work. Well, at the same time I was in a battle with the salesman because he took the keyless entry key code card out of the owners manual when I bought the truck and tossed it. He also said that he talked to the techs also and they were 99% sure the keypad wouldn't work. I told him about the info found on this sight and he said it wasn't reliable. Well, I pulled out the back seat, got the code and installed the keyless entry, which was super easy with info I found on the site and the ford tech dvd. Guess what, it WORKED! No problems, no reprogramming. It is pretty bad when I can install the keyless entry in my driveway and the techs that get paid to do this stuff don't have a clue. Thanks again f150online.com. If I would have done this earlier I could have saved myself 100 bucks and have something a lot more reliable. If anyone wants a stick on keypad contact me.

Last edited by cddavis; 02-21-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cddavis
Well, I had one of those stick on keyless entry keypads installed when I first purchased the truck because they said it was my only option for keyless. Only problem is, first well I didn't like the look of it, and second when it got really cold out, below freezing, it would take forever for it to unlock my doors. The damn thing cost me 150 dollars! I bought the replacement handle from fordparts.com ($45) and asked the dealership to install it for me. They said if the truck didn't come with keyless from the factory it wouldn't work. Well, at the same time I was in a battle with the salesman because he took the keyless entry key code card out of the owners manual when I bought the truck and tossed it. He also said that he talked to the techs also and they were 99% sure the keypad wouldn't work. I told him about the info found on this sight and he said it wasn't reliable. Well, I pulled out the back seat, got the code and installed the keyless entry, which was super easy with info I found on the site and the ford tech dvd. Guess what, it WORKED! No problems, no reprogramming. It is pretty bad when I can install the keyless entry in my driveway and the techs that get paid to do this stuff don't have a clue. Thanks again f150online.com. If I would have done this earlier I could have saved myself 100 bucks and have something a lot more reliable. If anyone wants a stick on keypad contact me.

That's funny!

Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Yes, it can and has been done....what a bunch of slackers. I am pretty sure when they said "it can't be done", they meant, "I don't want to have to figure out how it can be done." You got lucky on that though, I installed a keyless handle on a truck with keyless entry (no keypad) and had to have it programmed, but it did work after that......

Old 02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

What a bunch of slack-asses. Good job.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Matt 05'FX4
Yes, it can and has been done....what a bunch of slackers. I am pretty sure when they said "it can't be done", they meant, "I don't want to have to figure out how it can be done." You got lucky on that though, I installed a keyless handle on a truck with keyless entry (no keypad) and had to have it programmed, but it did work after that......

You have sweet videos on your putfile! That guys f-250 is BAD ***!Your truck sounded sweet when the supercharger came in big time!

Old 02-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
*high five*
Also, you should go back to the dealer & ask the salesman why he is an idiot.
Yeah, what an idiot. I kept questioning myself why did it come with a keyless code if it couldn't be installed. I actually asked him and he said "oh, all vehicles get one so they can keep track of the numbers." My reply, "that doesn't make sense, if it can't be put in, who cares if it does or doesn't get a key code. My wifes focus didn't come with one". He then stuttered a couple of times and I hung up. I was pretty mad at that point. Who is he to take stuff out of the owner manual, it came with the truck for a reason. Bastard.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 PM
dealership just didnt want to do it they do that chit all the time when they dont want to do something so small. lazy bums, o well at least you saved a c-note.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Salesmans don't have a clue about what they are selling to be honest. I probably would have got a regular cab, but he assured me the 5.4 only came in the Scab and Screw. The next day I signed up for this message board and what do I see? Regular cabs with the 5.4.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Beefullo
Salesmans don't have a clue about what they are selling to be honest. I probably would have got a regular cab, but he assured me the 5.4 only came in the Scab and Screw. The next day I signed up for this message board and what do I see? Regular cabs with the 5.4.
I will correct you. MOST salesmen don't know what the **** thewy're talking about. However, THIS salesman will run circles around you or anyone on this site regarding current Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury vehicles offered for sale in the United States and Canada. It's wrong, IMO to generalize and say ALL salespeople don't know what they're talking about. I challenge anyone here to ask me a product-knowledge related question regarding any of the above mentioned vehicles that you think I can't answer. Thank you, drive thru...

Old 02-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by 02SuperCrew4X
I will correct you. MOST salesmen don't know what the **** thewy're talking about. However, THIS salesman will run circles around you or anyone on this site regarding current Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury vehicles offered for sale in the United States and Canada. It's wrong, IMO to generalize and say ALL salespeople don't know what they're talking about. I challenge anyone here to ask me a product-knowledge related question regarding any of the above mentioned vehicles that you think I can't answer. Thank you, drive thru...
Generalities are often wrong, but everyone uses them for 'conversational effect'.

That said, while I believe you are VERY knowledgeable in your job, please don't think that everyone, or even most, are.

At my local Ford place, they are still insisting that to add cruise control on these trucks you must put a servo up under the hood... and this is the third year of the model.

As to finding a product-knowledge related question...
A Contest!

OK, how about fielding the Flint question in this thread;
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=229894

Sneaky way to get Chrisrud15 an answer… cause I sure don't know.
Chris

Old 02-22-2006, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Generalities are often wrong, but everyone uses them for 'conversational effect'.

That said, while I believe you are VERY knowledgeable in your job, please don't think that everyone, or even most, are.

At my local Ford place, they are still insisting that to add cruise control on these trucks you must put a servo up under the hood... and this is the third year of the model.

As to finding a product-knowledge related question...
A Contest!

OK, how about fielding the Flint question in this thread;
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=229894

Sneaky way to get Chrisrud15 an answer… cause I sure don't know.
Chris
Done.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 AM
I just looked at Ford Parts and the keyless entyry pad is $125. Where did you find it for $45?
https://fordparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

If I bought one I would just need to find the code and program it in?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:20 AM
I just bought one from the dealer and decided not to put it in. I'll sell it for $55 plus shipping cost.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:42 AM
AZDesertRat, at the top of your post it states that you have a 1998 Ford F150, this is for a 04-06. If you have a 04-06 here is the info: 5l3z-1522405-caa www.fordparts.com $47.49 In some trucks it works right away, some trucks it doesn't. It depends on the build date. Dealerships can program it into your VSM pretty easily if they want to. There is actually a TSB out for inop keypads right now so all dealerships should know how to do it, if not, I can send you an email that you can give to the dealer with step by step instructions on how to do it.

Last edited by cddavis; 02-22-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:51 AM
nicely done....I'd swing by the dealership and offer to train their techs for the cost of the stick on pad

Quick Reply: Dealership said it couldn't be done!