2000 F-150 Fuel Filter Replacement

Old 02-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F-150 Fuel Filter Replacement

Hello All,

I was hoping that someone could outline the exact procedure for replacing my fuel filter(and also any special tools needed) on my 2000 F-150 4x4 5.4L.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure if this will be an help but on my '97 the fuel line has internal clips that hold the line to the nipples. Go to AutoZone or TrackAuto and buy their special tool for this purpose - $6. It looks like an X with a pair of on each end. Be sure to let your fuel system depressurize before popping the end loose or you'll get a spray of fuel instead of a dribble. Have a can and a rag handy. Should take you about 10 minutes.
Lagter,
Chiz

Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Old 02-16-2004, 04:29 PM
if you havent already, don't buy the fuel line tool from autzone/advance auto. it is cheap and a very poor fit and will cause you major knuckle damage.

go to NAPA and get the two little plastic discs made for Ford fuel and air cond quick release hoses. They fit perfect and work effortlessly.

just take your time and make sure the you put the new filter on facing the correct way. the whole job should take less than 10 minutes.

you do not need to release the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. just remove the neg batt cable then open the fuel cap on the gas tank. thats it and you will get very little gas comming out. the old filter however is very full of fuel and will spill out even after its off!!

Last edited by hcmq; 02-16-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:59 PM
I agree with hcmq, the one I bought from Advance Auto was poorly made and I ended up having to take my Dremel tool and alter it to fit my fuel lines.... Stick with a better made tool from somewhere else.

Other than that, the job is very easy. Just release the fuel pressure like hcmq and others have stated and you will not have any problems.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Location: Currently Oregon, Could be anywhere. Chasing the dream
Thanks for the thread everyone. I read online how to do it, got the cheap plastic tool, put it on ramps and it wouldn't come off. I read all the 7 pages hoping some additional tip would show and it did and I went back under the car and got it off. I guess I just had to make sure I had the right tool because when I tried to use it I never heard or felt any sounds. I just pushed it on and then tried to pull the inlet hose off. It came off okay then then I went to the front and after some work and stuggling I got it off there too. Some things about working on cars just has to be learned. Thanks for the forum and thanks for the thread. And all those that think 7 pages and three years is excessive for this topic I just have to say it was about right. Maybe reading the whole thing cooled my jets enough to allow me to get it done. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F-150 Fuel Filter Replacement