Ignition Switch Won't Turn

Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Switch Won't Turn

Got in to crank my 1999 F-150 yesterday evening and the ignition switch wouldn't turn either way. Did some searching on here and tried the wd-40 trick with still no luck. Planning on putting in a new switch but was curious as how to get the old one out seeing as it won't turn to the run position. Any tips or hints on this one? How difficult of a task is it to replace?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the fuses first.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Try turning the steering wheel, back and forth a little, while turning the key.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Fuses were okay when checked and tried moving the steering wheel and still no luck. Let some wd-40 sit in there while i went and spent 70 bucks on a new ignition switch. Tried it one more time before i started pulling everything apart and the wheel off and it mysteriously started working again. Go Figure

Old 07-06-2005, 03:05 PM
jcc
did you check the brake saftey that is connected to the stering linkage?

Old 07-06-2005, 03:09 PM
jcc
wait you said ignition not column . i must of had a brain fart

Old 07-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a third generation locksmith I love to weigh in on issue such as this seeing as this is what I "DO KNOW" about vehicles. From your description it sounds as if you have a broken wafer in your switch. I'm not sure if all of the 99's had the PATS ignition in it or not however the Ford PATS is notorious for doing this on all models (My family's locksmith business that I work for is called at least twice / week on this issue.) It is a PITA to remove the switch, and with out the switch turning with the key, it is most likely going to have to be drilled. I'm not sure about your experience in this area but I would at least consider calling a professional locksmith. I'm a bit partial to the locksmith profession, however, they will usually come to where your vehicle is, fix the issue, and overall save you money. DO NOT.... I REPEAT DO NOT TOW IT TO THE DEALER AND PAY AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT TO FIX IT!!! They usually just call "US" locksmiths to do the work anyway and then charge you out the a#%, plus then you have a $75-$100 towing fee. If it is a non-PATS ignition (you can tell if the key has a "small head" it is a non-PATS. The PATS is a "big headed" key.) You can remove the lower plastic cover on the bottom side of the column, you still will have to get the ignition to the ACC or ON position by drilling, etc. and then there will be a small hole in the column that has a pin that will release the ignition switch when depressed, you just have to pull it straight out. You can then replace the ignition switch with a replacement from a local Parts house however, your ignition key will be different than your door key at that point unless you have the ignition keyed to your old key. At that point you will still need a locksmith .

Last edited by GABoyinTroupCo.; 07-06-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ain't a locksmith, but I've had to drill the cylinders out on a couple of uncooperative Focuses; it can be a pain in the ***. Since it's gone back to working though, I'd go ahead and bite the bullet and get a new lock cylinder anyways. No telling when it'll act up again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Won't Turn