replace rod bearings ?

Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace rod bearings ?

Hi, I need to replace my rod bearings on my 2001 F150 SCREW with the 5.4...
2WD model

Can I do this without pulling the motor? For example, loosen the motor mounts, jack motor slightly, drop the pan and replace the bearings one at a time, real slow...

And, anyone know the torque setting for the rod caps?

I did search, only found one comment, not a complete answer.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are having to replace rod bearings you might as well replace your main bearings and have your crank turned. Otherwise you will just be back in there doing this again very shortly. To answer your original question... no. It could probably be done but it would most likely take you longer to do it that way rather than just pulling the motor and re-build your bottom end, that way it is "fixed" not just "patched". Plus you can't reach all of the bearings without rotating the motor which will turn into a major bitch if it's not on an engine stand. I did this on my 2000 5.4 4X4 this past summer, and with parts and all it cost me under $500. I was able to do all of the work in my front yard with a crappy hanes manual. You can get all of the torque settings from there. I'll find my manual later and try and post the torque settings you are looking for. For God's sake just go on and pull it!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll be bitching later if you try doing this inside the truck...Troup County's got the right idea (I'm a Chattahoochee County feller myself, trust us Georgians ), go ahead and pull the engine and stick it on a stand.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some ideas

Thanks guys for the info. GABoy, I think I'll plan this project next time my Dad is in town, he's been a Marine Mechanic for 35 years.

Anyway, I will rebuild the bottom end, replace plugs (easier while it's out) and??? What else should or could I do to add power?

I don't want to do a full rebuild (at least I think I don't )

Would it be worth it to do full rebuild? Bore it out .30 over, add a slight CAM increase, polish the heads? anything else I can do to increase HP for a reasonable cost?

I think heads would be too expensive?

Anything else I should do while the motor is out? I want to keep the truck for about 5 more years. I pull a 4000lb camper a dozen times a year, other than that it's a daily driver to work.

Thanks guys...
PS, just moved to Nashville area, sure love the south...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replace rod bearings ?