Excursion

why did they stop making them?

Old 09-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why did they stop making them?

i liked the Excursions and i was thinking of getting one a year or so back. why did they just drop them? it cant be completely gas prices.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 PM
same boat here.i was recently thinking about looking for one too. found some brand new ones near me, but were sold, and i was looking for a limited 4x4. the closest ones to me were in colorado. to far.ford took a lot of flack when they introduced it. i think gas hurt their sales, but i think they wanted to change their image. sucks because i would buy one in a second.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Lack of interest and or sales
-Patrick

Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 PM
There is supposed to be a new version of the Expy coming out soon and I think it is going to be slighty larger. Have not seen what the engine and tranny specs are yet. Maybe that is why they ditched the Excursion.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh, I didn't hear about the Excursion being discontinued. Huge **** though, New larger Expo looks good though!

Old 10-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
Oh, I didn't hear about the Excursion being discontinued. Huge **** though, New larger Expo looks good though!
And did you hear GM discontinued the F-body cars too?

lol jk dude,
I think the excursion was announced to be discontinued back in 03 or 04, all tho i still saw them at the State Fair of Texas, new car show, back in fall of 04 so i think 05 was last year model, unless the excursions i saw were just work trucks there....
-Patrick

Old 10-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Lack of interest and or sales
-Patrick
It certainly wasn't either of these. The Excursion was Fords cash cow. Period. There was plenty of interest. In fact, write-ups prior to the demise listed that the couple thousand units ford built per week could have kept going on at the limited quantities just because Furd had minimal investment in the unit because it was based off the Super Duty line, most units were being sold, and orders were still coming in. You can thank the tree huggers for this one. They got their panties in a wad after it's introduction because of the V-10's fuel economy. I'll never understand it. My wifes 2003 Excursion with the V-10 averaged 16 on several of our trips to Pigeon Forge, TN from Rockford, IL. Yes, 10-12 around town in winter, but do you buy something like that for economy? I'm still looking at getting another one in diesel this time. I am just a little skiddish due to the range of difference between diesel and gasoline. Here, it averages between $0.30 and $0.75 per gallon more than gasoline.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:30 PM
And did you hear GM discontinued the F-body cars too?

-Patrick
....... dude, I still haven't gotten over that man.. you know thats a touchy subject to me, Ever since GM announced it in 2001 i've been sad since...

Old 10-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
It certainly wasn't either of these. The Excursion was Fords cash cow. Period. There was plenty of interest. In fact, write-ups prior to the demise listed that the couple thousand units ford built per week could have kept going on at the limited quantities just because Furd had minimal investment in the unit because it was based off the Super Duty line, most units were being sold, and orders were still coming in. You can thank the tree huggers for this one. They got their panties in a wad after it's introduction because of the V-10's fuel economy. I'll never understand it. My wifes 2003 Excursion with the V-10 averaged 16 on several of our trips to Pigeon Forge, TN from Rockford, IL. Yes, 10-12 around town in winter, but do you buy something like that for economy? I'm still looking at getting another one in diesel this time. I am just a little skiddish due to the range of difference between diesel and gasoline. Here, it averages between $0.30 and $0.75 per gallon more than gasoline.
Ford felt they could develop a better replacement that would get 5 MPG. Seriously, sales for the Excursion weren't that great. This was the main reason for stopping production. I drive for a living 8-10 hours a day, everyday, and if I see one Excursion a week that's alot. The treehuggers wined about the mileage, but if the sales were strong Ford would still build them regardless.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I drive for a living 8-10 hours a day, everyday, and if I see one Excursion a week that's alot. The treehuggers wined about the mileage, but if the sales were strong Ford would still build them regardless.
Must be the part of country you drive in. The Excursion is all over the South. From Florida to California. Last trip to Texas I saw several pulling horse trailers. See a bunch on the highway in the winter in New Mexico and Arizona pulling travel trailers. Several at the dunes in the winter time pulling toy trailers.

I will look for it, but I read the article a couple of years back that stated the CEO of Ford was trying to please the tree huggers and he was getting a hard time because of the Excursion. Why it's a problem to have a SUV on the platform of a F250 that's out there working I don't know.

To replace it, a longer Expedition is built that is bigger and heavier and will surely use more fuel.

Although the Expedition does make a fine tow vehicle.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
I will look for it, but I read the article a couple of years back that stated the CEO of Ford was trying to please the tree huggers and he was getting a hard time because of the Excursion.
This kind of thing bothers me, GM has been taking the same heat over the H2 but because of it's popularity they keep right on building them. It amazes me how sometimes the voices of the few can decide for the many.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Tbird69
This kind of thing bothers me, GM has been taking the same heat over the H2 but because of it's popularity they keep right on building them. It amazes me how sometimes the voices of the few can decide for the many.
Pssh H2s are only popular b.c these rapper wanna be's can get them to easily tuck 26"-28" rims....

They actually suck off road which is the main basis of the Hummer program. And not to mention its on the tahoe chassis so its really just an over weighed glorified tahoe for another 5-10 grand.

As you can tell this is a touchy subject. I am in love with the H1s and i think the H2s are a disgrace to the Hummer name, the H3 is barley okay, but they are selling them like blazers, and not off road machines....
-Patrick

Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Pssh H2s are only popular b.c these rapper wanna be's can get them to easily tuck 26"-28" rims....

They actually suck off road which is the main basis of the Hummer program. And not to mention its on the tahoe chassis so its really just an over weighed glorified tahoe for another 5-10 grand.

As you can tell this is a touchy subject. I am in love with the H1s and i think the H2s are a disgrace to the Hummer name, the H3 is barley okay, but they are selling them like blazers, and not off road machines....
-Patrick
I can agree, I personally love H2s, I would love to have a black one with the black brush guard and lux pkg, but Hummer was always a tough off road machine, since they discontinued the H1, now, Hummers just luxury vehicles. the H3 is pathetic, its too small to carry the Hummer reputation. But ahh this is a thread for the Excursion so i'll get off that subject

Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
I can agree, I personally love H2s, I would love to have a black one with the black brush guard and lux pkg, but Hummer was always a tough off road machine, since they discontinued the H1, now, Hummers just luxury vehicles. the H3 is pathetic, its too small to carry the Hummer reputation. But ahh this is a thread for the Excursion so i'll get off that subject
Maybe you didnt get my point... I very mush dislike the H2s and almost hate the H3s

H1s all the way. Ive ridden in one way back in middle school it was soo nice. It was a wagon, huge truck and it was 4 captains chair with a continous flow through center console...
-Patrick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why did they stop making them?