1997 Blend door actuator

Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Blend door actuator

1997 F150, just replaced heater core about a month ago, but now I don't have AC. I am assuming that the blend door acutator has gone bad. Does the dash have to come out to replace the actuator? or is there some other way to get to it?

Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, to get the actuator for the blend door out you have to pull the dash. Make sure its the actuator by pulling the black vent cover over the tranny hump and watching it when sending the command. If its a AC/ blend problem, its probably a broken door. Give us some more info on the AC problem; what its doing and not doing.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:55 AM
I believe it does but not 100% sure. I am sure someone will verify. I did blend door and heater core in my 97 a couple months ago and now 1/2 wish i would have replaces motor at that time.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
A failed blend door will cause a loss of outlet temperature control regardless of the A/C.

If you can control the outlet temp in HEAT mode, then the blend door is not the problem, you should then be focusing on an A/C-specific problem.

Steve

Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 PM
even on the highest setting for the AC I still get only heat. When I change the temp control from hot to cold or vice versa, I do not hear the door moving. Before I changed the heater core I could usually hear it a little bit. The guy at the ford dealer suggested that I change the actuator when I changed the heater core, but I didn't listen. I did however have to put a new blend door in because my old one was broken. I am assuming that it is the belnd door actuator, but any help would be appreciated

Old 03-29-2007, 03:47 PM
ok now, I have the dash pulled and I am in the box where the heater core is located. I am trying to get to the blend door motor, but it is on the bottom of the heatercore housing box. I am stuck and don't know where to go from here. Do I have to take the entire housing out, which means unhooking the heater and evaporator core? If so how do I do this? I have been looking for screws or bolts or something, but I am completely lost. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I just have the same problem. But the blend door motor can be removed without taking the dash apart.
Remove the cover at the bottom uncovering the lower duct. use a fine hacksaw to cut the duct in half (drastic maybe). Remove an 8mm screw from the right hand side. Slide out the right half of the duct. Remove 3 8mm screws front the blend door motor. (small fingers needed) unplug and slide down and out the motor. use black duct tape to re-assemble the cut duct.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Ain't life great!!! Installed the new blend door motor and it worked the door twice! Spent today installing a new blend door. Took 5 hours start to finish. Not bad for a first time. Bottom of the door had crumbled, so replacement was the only fix. Just watch out for hidden screws when you do this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Blend door actuator