1994 F150 Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 F150 Transmission leak

I have a 1994 F150 5.0 4WD with automatic transmission. I was parking my trailer earlier this evening when I noticed a major leak had sprung from the transmission. I'll see if I can attach a photo to illustrate. Basically, it looks as if most of it was coming from the round plug at the bottom, but there may have also been some coming from the seam forward of the plug.

I'm hoping this is just a blown seal, and not a major problem. I had checked the fluid level earlier today, and it was fine (and the fluid looked clean). I have had no shifting problems or any other issues with the transmission prior to this. It just seems as if I stressed it out a bit trying to back the trailer up.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you sure it's trans fluid? Catch some on a white paper towel & see what color it is, and how it smells.

Yes, it's probably just a worn front seal on the trans, but it looks like your engine could use several new gaskets & seals. I'd pull the ENGINE, inspect the freeze plugs, & replace the oil pan & valve cover gaskets, F&R main seals, trans front seal, t-case F&R output seals, & probably both engine mounts. While it's out, I'd probably stick new oil & water pumps on it.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 AM
I'm 100% certain it's transmission fluid.

Thanks for the advice. I'm fairly certain none of the maintenance you're suggesting has ever been done on the vehicle, so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Can the affected seals be replaced without doing a full removal? I have a friend with a lift that I can use to get under the car pretty easy, but pulling the entire thing might be more than I can handle.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:59 AM
You can get to SOME of the freeze plugs & the valve cover gaskets, the front main, the t-case seals, & the engine mounts w/o pulling the engine.

But to fix the trans leak, either IT or the engine has to come out, and I highly recommend the engine, considering the amount of oil I'm seeing on the bellhousing.

While you have it out, you might as well do all that other stuff because it surely needs it.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM
OK... thanks for the advice.

Can the vehicle be moved at all in its current state?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:21 AM
That's up to you. If you top up the trans fluid frequently, you probably won't hurt it.

Quick Reply: 1994 F150 Transmission leak