Grinding noise in front end, possibly 4x4 hubs.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise in front end, possibly 4x4 hubs.

I have had this same problem since my truck (05 f150 4x4) had about 22k miles on it. At random intervals of sometimes every 5 minutes and sometimes 5 months my truck will make a grinding type noise in the front end. It sounds like bb's rolling around in a coffee can (except very loud). I have taken it to the dealer several times and they could never pin point the noise because it was happening so randomly. I now have 56k miles on the truck and it happens more frequently. The dealer just had my truck for 3 weeks trying to figure it out and they can't. They did hear the noise but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Anyone else have this problem or any idea what it could be?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:45 PM
iwe solenoid allow water to enter the vacuum system and you are loosing vacuum on your hubs at random intervals.
Ask the dealer to look up TSB 06-8-15 TSB 06-8-15

more than likely is the culprit. Has similar noise on my 05 4x4. If this is the problem your dealer should have found it before now; its kinda sad on their part. The splines on your hubs are probably shot if its been happening enough. Does it sound like a gear trying to engage? Like trying to jam a manual trans into gear without the clutch?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...-solenoid.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...-f150-4x4.html

If this is the cause I would make them pay for it; your brought it to their attention long before your warranty was up and as a result you have more than likely damaged the splines on your hub or more. If you don't have extended warranty.

Last edited by Wakethor; 02-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Wakethor
iwe solenoid allow water to enter the vacuum system and you are loosing vacuum on your hubs at random intervals.
Ask the dealer to look up TSB 06-8-15 TSB 06-8-15

more than likely is the culprit. Has similar noise on my 05 4x4. If this is the problem your dealer should have found it before now; its kinda sad on their part. The splines on your hubs are probably shot if its been happening enough. Does it sound like a gear trying to engage? Like trying to jam a manual trans into gear without the clutch?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...-solenoid.html
https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...-f150-4x4.html

If this is the cause I would make them pay for it; your brought it to their attention long before your warranty was up and as a result you have more than likely damaged the splines on your hub or more. If you don't have extended warranty.
I actually had them replace that solenoid at the beginning of the 3 weeks at the dealership. It was cycling really fast, sounding like a rattle in the dash. That was causing it to try and engage in 4 wheel drive but after that was fixed it was still making the noise. I can say that it is happening more now at high speed or under heavy load than it was before. They still say they cannot pin point the noise.
I do have an extended warranty to 75K, but it only covers certain parts of the 4 wheel drive system... at least that is what they are telling me. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
i have been wondering wth that noise is ... mine has done it a few times periodically when it was really cold outside this winter and i have been curious if anybody else has had this problem... i have yet to take my truck in though ..

Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
After reading through those links I think I have decided that the hubs are destroyed and need replaced. My 4 wheel drive still works but they are definitely still making the noise. I can't believe a Ford dealer could miss something like that. I should repeat. THEY HAD IT FOR 3 ENTIRE WEEKS AND COULDN'T FIGURE IT OUT. They are either really stupid or I have a more serious problem. I am hoping for the first.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Did they check hubs and transfer case for any damage or metal shavings? Since this problem went on so long.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Not that I know of. I am getting more and more pissed about this last trip to the dealership by the minute. Now that I have posted this on here, I think that I have selected the most incompetent Ford Dealer in the country. I will call them tomorrow to find out what all they checked. Maybe I will just trade it in at that dealership since they seem to think there is nothing wrong. I just hate to dish off my problem to someone else

Old 04-06-2010, 01:59 PM
OK, can someone let me know what the solution was? I am having this problem now with my 2004 4x4. It sounds like a gear trying to engage and come up to speed, and at slow speeds I engage the 4HI and it stops immediately - sometimes with a bang so I am really hesitant to do so. Solenoid drifting over? For a reasoanbly mechanically inclined person is this a driveway fix or a "take it shop on the lift" fix?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM
My 2010 f150 fx4 Screw with 1900 mi started this grinding noise up front, usually on a bumpy road and on the drivers side. Terrible metal on metal sound then went away. Did it again at 2000 mi, this time louder and long enough for me to get to the dealer where I purchased from. I asked for a mechanic to take a ride with me and was told they were at lunch. Well I waited and thinking now that the truck cooled off it would stop. The mechanic went for a ride and in 2 seconds said the 4 wheel drive is trying to engage on it's own. It was either the vaccum pump or the solenoid and that the gear end were most likely chewed up. I take it in on the 22nd I was told they would have it for 2 or 3 days, but no parts ordered yet ? So what are they gonna do check the parts and if they seem to work leave them on a new truck with 2000 mi and hope it doesn't do it again ? WTF

Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Jack, I would be pissed. My 99 F-250 Superduty just started doing the same thing last week. There is a loud groaning sound that comes and goes. I replaced the hubs a few weeks ago but I am still learning about 4X4 operations. The vacuum lines are dry rotted and I need to check the bearings as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise in front end, possibly 4x4 hubs.