2004 - 2008 F-150

Auto Door Unlock?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Door Unlock?

Does anyone know if our trucks have a feature to auto unlock the doors when you get out of the truck?

I had this feature on my 04 Ram. I would turn the key off, open the drivers door and all the other doors would unlock. This was helpful to me because I have 2 kids and need to open the doors to get them out and it saves me a step of having to unlock them with the button.

I am so used to this feature that I find myself forgetting to unlock the doors and getting upset because they are locked.

I looked in the manual but didnt see anything about it in there.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:17 PM
the 09 explorer my parents bought does it... however i dont think ours can

Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I am 90% sure that the factory lock system doesn't do this and won't do this with any of the settings changed within the programming system.

Every Code Alarm that I have ever had does this though. I currently have the SRT-9000 model and as soon as I start the truck it locks all the doors. However, if it detects that one of the doors is open, it will immediately unlock the driver front door to keep you from being locked out. It will also do the opposite as well. When I turn the truck off, all the doors are immediately unlocked.

I don't ever use the door lock/unlock button anymore. The alarm takes care of it all for me. Plus the install wasn't too bad. Only took me a couple hours and is a fantastic alarm.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry man, the 04-08 F-150 doesn't do that.

my 08 Expy does however...which is weird.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
One more reason to get a nice alarm

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know the 2004 does not have this feature, but I thought 2006 and up did. Anyway here is some info, maybe give it a shot, you never know.

Enabling/Disabling Autolocking, AutoUnlocking, Trim Switch Inhibit, and Perimeter Lighting:
1. All doors must be closed and remain closed throughout the configuration process
2. Turn Ignition to RUN
3. Press the Trim Panel Unlock Switch three times Turn Ignition to OFF
4. Press the Trim Panel Unlock Switch three times
5. Turn Ignition to RUN

This sequence must be accomplished within 30 seconds. Completing the sequence within 30 seconds enters program mode and is confirmed by a horn chirp. Once programming mode is entered, the feature listed below can be enabled or disabled. Each interior switch activation must occur within 5 seconds of each other in order to successfully toggle the function.

Feature................First Press.......Second Press
AutoLock.................Unlock..............Lock
AutoUnlock...............Lock...............Unlock
Lock Inhibit...............Lock...............Lock
Perimeter Lighting......Unlock............Unlock

Pressing UNLOCK/LOCK toggles the state of Autolock (if it is off this turns it on, if it is on this turns it off)

Pressing LOCK/UNLOCK toggles the state of AutoUnlock* (if it is off this turns it on, if it is on this turns it off)

(* new for '06. Unlocks all doors once key out of ignition and one of the front doors are opened)

Pressing LOCK/LOCK toggles the state of Trim Switch Inhibit (if it is off this turns it on, if it is on this turns it off)

Pressing UNLOCK/UNLOCK toggles the state of Perimeter lighting (if it is off this turns it on, if it is on this turns it off)

Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I was told the 2008 f150 couldn't do it. I know our 04 expedition had it and my wife comments everytime she gets out of the truck.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by lordfeyr
Does anyone know if our trucks have a feature to auto unlock the doors when you get out of the truck?

I had this feature on my 04 Ram. I would turn the key off, open the drivers door and all the other doors would unlock. This was helpful to me because I have 2 kids and need to open the doors to get them out and it saves me a step of having to unlock them with the button.

I am so used to this feature that I find myself forgetting to unlock the doors and getting upset because they are locked.

I looked in the manual but didnt see anything about it in there.
Why do you want it to auto-unlock? I think (but am not sure) that it's a safety feature. If you have a Screw and have kids in the back, they can't get out and run into the street and get hit (until you want them to (get out that is)) The front doors open from inside without unlocking. Have for as long as I can remember on Ford. I much prefer it that way personally. My son and DIL got a new Suburban last year and with the factory lock system, no auto-unlock and when I have driven it I always grab the handle to exit and the #@$%#@ thing is still locked because it doesn't open from the inside when locked like Ford does.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
MeanGene

Tried it and it does not look like it works. The truck goes into programming mode but nothing happens when I follow those instructions.

Code58

My kids are still in car seats so I dont have to worry about them running off. Its just easier for me to get out and open their door without having to push any buttons. I guess I am just used to it. I had a 3 series BMW and a Ram that both did it and my wifes lexus does it as well.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM
MeanGene

Tried it and it does not look like it works. The truck goes into programming mode but nothing happens when I follow those instructions.

Code58

My kids are still in car seats so I dont have to worry about them running off. Its just easier for me to get out and open their door without having to push any buttons. I guess I am just used to it. I had a 3 series BMW and a Ram that both did it and my wifes lexus does it as well.
Lordfeyr- or you could buy a Suburban and then really be ticked when even you couldn't get out without pushing unlock. It's my son and DIL's car and they're used to it because that's what they had before. My wife's Camry is the same way, the front doors open without unlock but you have to unlock to get out of the rear. I guess it's what we get used to- I'm used to it that way so I like it. When I drive the Suburban (seldom) it really irritates me when I pull the handle and the door doesn't open and I have to THEN hit the unlock button.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MeanGene

Code58

What year to you have?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Build Date 4/06 fx4

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
If you have a Screw and have kids in the back, they can't get out and run into the street and get hit (until you want them to (get out that is))
There is good reason for not needing the safety. Not all of us park our truck on the street, and we don't all have little kids. My youngest just graduated from U of Minnesota last Saturday.

My wife's Lexus takes some getting used to. The doors unlock when you put it in park, and lock when you put it in drive. If you stop to pick someone up you just have to remember shift it into park. I hated that at first, but it's growing in me. You find a spot, put it in park, the doors open and everyone gets out.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by greencrew
There is good reason for not needing the safety. Not all of us park our truck on the street, and we don't all have little kids. My youngest just graduated from U of Minnesota last Saturday.

My wife's Lexus takes some getting used to. The doors unlock when you put it in park, and lock when you put it in drive. If you stop to pick someone up you just have to remember shift it into park. I hated that at first, but it's growing in me. You find a spot, put it in park, the doors open and everyone gets out.
I THINK the Lexus are programable (at least after about '03). My DIL has a 99RX and I have driven it quite a few times and I think it's like my wife's Camry, which is like the F-150, front doors open from inside without unlocking. It isn't programable.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
I THINK the Lexus are programable (at least after about '03). My DIL has a 99RX and I have driven it quite a few times and I think it's like my wife's Camry, which is like the F-150, front doors open from inside without unlocking. It isn't programable.
Yes, doors open from the inside without unlocking.

Did you hear about the lady who called 911 because her car doors were locked, and she could not get out. True story. The 911 operator walked her through pulling the locking mechanism so she could get out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Door Unlock?