EZdown tailgate assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZdown tailgate assist

I just got my DeeZee EZdown tailgate assist and installed it. Has anyone else had a problem with the retaining spring clip on the gas shock coming loose or falling off? At first I thought one of the clamping tabs on mine had broken off but now I'm not so sure.

Can some one post some closeup photos of theirs so I can see if it looks like the one I have? I have photos of mine in my photo gallery.

Last edited by Grunthunter; 02-09-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added links to photos
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Thumbs up Follow up & Heads Up

I talked with a Customer Service rep at DeeZee this morning. Apparently the spring clip is supposed to look like the one I have in the photo, with only one clamping tab. They must either have the sping clips formed around the gas shock after they receive them or snap them on themselves. They saw my photo and said it looked like mine was 'stretched' and that they would just send me a new assembly today. Apparently you need to be careful handling it so as not to pull on the spring clip very hard or it'll just pop off. Once it comes off it has stretched enough that it won't stay on anymore. They said I didn't even have to return the old one so I may have a chance to make an improvement to it and keep it for a spare. I'm thinking I can just drill a hole through the clip and shock and pop rivet them together or tap the shock and put a small screw through it. Yeah I know .... that's what they make duct tape for also

Can't beat their Customer Service.

Also, I noticed that my tailgate, with the integrated step, assist pole and camera, drops a little faster than the one in their online video and I suspect it's because of the heavier tailgate on the Platinum, so they may wear out faster.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grunthunter
I talked with a Customer Service rep at DeeZee this morning. Apparently the spring clip is supposed to look like the one I have in the photo, with only one clamping tab. They must either have the sping clips formed around the gas shock after they receive them or snap them on themselves. They saw my photo and said it looked like mine was 'stretched' and that they would just send me a new assembly today. Apparently you need to be careful handling it so as not to pull on the spring clip very hard or it'll just pop off. Once it comes off it has stretched enough that it won't stay on anymore. They said I didn't even have to return the old one so I may have a chance to make an improvement to it and keep it for a spare. I'm thinking I can just drill a hole through the clip and shock and pop rivet them together or tap the shock and put a small screw through it. Yeah I know .... that's what they make duct tape for also

Can't beat their Customer Service.

Also, I noticed that my tailgate, with the integrated step, assist pole and camera, drops a little faster than the one in their online video and I suspect it's because of the heavier tailgate on the Platinum, so they may wear out faster.
Glad you got it squared away and they made good on there item.. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years with no problems at all.. I did put some Loctite (blue) on the bolt that screws into the tailgate though, mine came loose a couple times..Enjoy it! I love my EZ-Down

Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my EZ-Down too! Makes dropping the tailgate so much nicer, and safer when the kids are around. I also agree that the extra weight in your tailgate may cause it wear out faster, so how about getting two? One for the other side?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 AM
I got one for my dad's 99 chevy and he's had no issues for over 2 years. Best $ I ever spent on a Chevy LOL.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
I love my EZ-Down too! Makes dropping the tailgate so much nicer, and safer when the kids are around. I also agree that the extra weight in your tailgate may cause it wear out faster, so how about getting two? One for the other side?
I can't remember if I read it on their website, or where, that they specifically mention NOT to use one on both sides. Don't ask why, I just read that. I haven't checked but do these tailgates just lift right off like the old ones? I think that may have been the reason that with two of them the tailgate may have a tendancy to lift up off the pivot hinge.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grunthunter
I can't remember if I read it on their website, or where, that they specifically mention NOT to use one on both sides. Don't ask why, I just read that. I haven't checked but do these tailgates just lift right off like the old ones? I think that may have been the reason that with two of them the tailgate may have a tendancy to lift up off the pivot hinge.
That or maybe harder to shut. I had the same issue with the retaining clip, finally lost it. Don't really need it, mine never comes off.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
That or maybe harder to shut. I had the same issue with the retaining clip, finally lost it. Don't really need it, mine never comes off.
Mine hasn't fallen off yet either but I notice that when you close the tailgate the end of the gas shock lifts up to the position where it could fall off. As soon as I get my new one I'm going to see if I can drill a hole through the one I have now and pop rivet the spring clamp to it. It's probably going to be tricky drilling a hole through that thin spring stock.

Quick Reply: EZdown tailgate assist