help where is it at? shift control solenoid? transmission control solenoid

Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help where is it at? shift control solenoid? transmission control solenoid

could someone please help me i had posted on here before about my truck not going into drive well i was told by a ford mechanic that it is a shift control solenoid it is listed as a transmission control solenoid at autozone but i want to know where it is on my transmission if someone could even give me a diagram of where it would be would be very appreciated thanks! please someone help.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
What year is your truck and what transmission does it have?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
on my 06, you pull the pan, and while lookin up at the VB, its on the drivers side, theres 2 silver boxes, which are SS1 and SS2 (shift solenoids) and a black cylinder (your TCC) there is a black plastic piece going between the two solenoids to the pass. side and up into a wireing harness. really easy to see

Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
dunno if this will work, but heres a pic of them

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=9
well, its a pic of the top... (spossing this aint gonna help, huh? haha)

well heres a pic minus the plastic peice goin along the valve body, but you can see the 2 solenoids, and TCC (shift solenoids are one piece, about $25)
http://www.explorerforum.com/photopo...valve_body.jpg
http://www.explorerforum.com/photopo...valve_body.jpg

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Thumbs up

i found it last night when i went to change my tranny filter it was on the opposite side than you said though maybe could be because my truck is a 97 i don't know. now i just hope this is what has been causing my problem to bad there not away to get it tested to make sure there is a problem with it. if this doen't fix my problem i got one more guess as to what maybe causing it and it was my first guess but i was told that it wouldn't cause my problem. i thinking it maybe the TR sensor (neutral safety switch) but i could be wrong. guess i will try switching my transmission control solenoid (shift control solenoid) first since i already got my pan and filter down and out of the way. figured be easier to do that first and cheaper cause would have hated to put the new filter and everything back together to find out i got to take it back down again.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:03 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Is it a 4R70W or a E4OD?

Old 06-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by glc
Is it a 4R70W or a E4OD?
my truck is a 1997 Ford F150 XL V8 4.6
It is a 4R70W transmission with the 14 bolt pan

Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 PM
well i changed the shift solenoid and replaced filter and put new tranny fluid in and it still will not go forward unless u rev it up into third. i don't know if my dad ****ed it up more by jumping right in my truck and moving it as soon as i just got done putting the tranny fluid in or not i was told you suppose to wait 20 minutes and he didn't so i don't know if he messed up doing that or not. ahhhh i about to pull my hair out i need my truck fixed bad! what else could it be if it not the tranny the filter or the shift solenoid? ahh i need help!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
plus you wanna put it in every gear slowly, for about 5 sec (not moving, of course) and do it twice. on first start, i put it down to 1, then 2, then D, then N, then R, then P, then R and all the gears back down to 1, then all back up to P, and check fluid about 3-4 times, THEN test drive.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM
does it make a difference if there is a thumping noise when you put it in reverse and none of the other gears? it didn't use to make this noise till i changed everything. my truck has been sitting for 2 days should i try to let it sit for the 20 minutes with the motor running and then try going thru the the gears or does it only work when you first changed everything around and put tranny fluid in?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 PM
you wanna do it first, so everything gets fluid right off the bat, to help avoid damaging anything, or having it running while dry

if your 'thumping' might be slack in the rearend, and it needs to be re-lashed, or u-joints, or somthing came loose inside

Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
i beginning to think i should just replace my whole transmission so how do you know if your tranny is bad? i got reverse no drive no 2 gear and no 1 gear but i can rev up the motor and get 3 and 4 gears. i was thinking maybe something came loose that makes these gears shift but i beginning to get tired of trying to find the problem. i don't know any one around here that knows about these newer trucks and it going to cost me a fortune to take it to someone to get it fixed. i don't know if i can just take it to a ford dealer or any mechanic and have them tell me what is wrong with and then i can fix it myself or not?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM
usually diagnosis cost $1-200. but im not a tranny expert. still trying to figure out my no o/d problem. could it be a bad TC? although those usually take out all gears....

Old 06-11-2010, 01:41 PM
did you pull the valve body when you where in there? or just the solenoids, and button it all back up?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
no my dad just had me take the shift solenoid out and replace that and the filter and put the pan back on and put the tranny fluid back in then as soon as i started my truck my dad got in my truck put it in reverse and then put it in drive and said see didn't work it is not moving. and i tried to tell him i was suppose to let it run for 20 minutes before he did all that and he said it would have mattered my tranny is junk. i tried to tell him these newer trucks are not like all the old cars he has worked on but he just won't listen to me. so i don't want his help if he going to ruin my truck it going to cost me to fix it because he won't listen so i am trying to figure this all out with help from someone who knows more about these newer trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help where is it at? shift control solenoid? transmission control solenoid