Harley-Davidson

2000 f150 HD repaint

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 f150 HD repaint

Original owner of a 2000 F150 Harley. Only problem is that paint started going bad about 2003. Always parked outside in the South. It started as cracking, now the hood is cracked and dulled. The top is rusty over about 50%.
Got to do something about the Harley paint. Question is what. This is my daily driver and I don't see selling it anytime soon, but could later.
Question to other F150 Harley guys, should I repaint it black to keep it original, or go slightly custom or two tone. My thinking is do something on the top side lighter in color. Will do the work myself and confident that I can do a better job than the clowns at Ford.
Any ideas?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Post a pic of your truck so someone can photoshop your ideas.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
8up
I think I'd keep it stock, except put alot of extra work into it.
You know, make it A "custom paint job". Block the body smooooth & straight, many coats of clear, maybe some fine black metallic in the clear?

Guess I just talked myself out of the stock paint job into A custom one, didnt I?

At the end of the day, Its your truck-do what you like!
Good luck

Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
keep it stock and paint in the stripes vs the decals

Old 07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I say paint it two tone like his tarajerame's. I love his truck one of my favorites on the sight. And o yeah tarajerame if you ever wanna sell that thing I HAVE DIBS!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:07 AM
keep it stock, you will appreciate it more after its done. you might not like the change either

Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys, think I am going for the stock custom with some metalflack like 8up suggest. Body has no dings, so this will be easiest. Don't know about hand painting the pin strips. I did it a lot in 60's and 70's, but will have to practice a little.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had same problem with my 2000 Harley Davidson, roof was almost all rusty, hood cracked up, doors badly cracked, and front fenders were just starting to crack. Hood was rusty on front edge, cracked paint rest of the way. Bed was only thing that looked good. I got rid of truck because to correct paint issue entire truck has to be sanded or sand blasted down to the metal, then painted. I felt the roof panel was too far gone for re-painting and I wanted a sunroof. First low estimate on doing paint job right was $5000.00, and that wasn't including a new roof panel. I sold it, hopefully he can get it painted and such.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
X100

This is what I plan to do

Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Yea, Mikeyss has the price about right to repaint and the roof will take a little more work. However, I just got through restoring my 53 f100 and need a good project. Plan on driving the 53 while I take my time. Getting a bead blaster guy to come out do the truck, will sand the top good, metal prep it, then if necessary fill the pits. Although, I must admit, the sunroof idea is excellent and something I am considering. A good primer, blocking, black base coat and lots of clear with tiny bit of metalic should do the job. I am retired so the labor is free. Expect my cost to be $1500 or so. Besides, I need the exercise. Only problem it will delay getting started on my 69 Galaxie Convertible project. But so is life, so many cars, so little time. Need a bigger barn.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM
8up
Pictures or its not happening!!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Its ashame that Ford had their options list messed up in our body style truck. The 01 - 03 F150 scabs had an available sunroof option, while 98-00 scabs did not have the option, but by 01 Ford didn't make the Harley in a scab anymore..

Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by SCFLATHEAD
Yea, Mikeyss has the price about right to repaint and the roof will take a little more work. However, I just got through restoring my 53 f100 and need a good project. Plan on driving the 53 while I take my time. Getting a bead blaster guy to come out do the truck, will sand the top good, metal prep it, then if necessary fill the pits. Although, I must admit, the sunroof idea is excellent and something I am considering. A good primer, blocking, black base coat and lots of clear with tiny bit of metalic should do the job. I am retired so the labor is free. Expect my cost to be $1500 or so. Besides, I need the exercise. Only problem it will delay getting started on my 69 Galaxie Convertible project. But so is life, so many cars, so little time. Need a bigger barn.
I can attest the sunroof is a great idea took me a long time to find one, and I wanted a solid black truck, but the combo eluded me.

I like the idea on the metallic black paint color, and I can certainly sympathize on the more space issue.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Only thing I could suggest would be keep it black and incorporate the dsg grey from the 02's. I think black with a grey stripe down the center or if you two toned it would look kinda neat. Just my .02. Or the all black with factory painted stripes would look good as well.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
OKI
If your gonna 2 tone it...then pick a different color than the silver/grey that is stock for the 03's. I would like to see a photo-shop of the use of the black with dsg, but for your year truck, I think a sold color would be best unless you really want a custom paint scheme.

IMO, Keep it the stock black with a little metallic flake upgrade to make it pop. As for
flame decal, I would definitely paint that on instead of using the sticker, or you could do what I plan for my truck when I get it repainted....put the stripe taping decal on (in your case the flames) and have 3 coats of clear shot over it. (As it would cost an arm and a leg to actually paint the stripe taping for my truck)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 f150 HD repaint