New Procharger Instal

Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Procharger Instal

Hey guys its my first time posting here and I have some questions. A little about me first, I am a drag racer by heart and have a low 9 second N/A 03 cobra with a sb stroker that I do all my own engine work on. I use my 2001 F-150 super crew 4x4 to tow the car to the track. I just finished adding a complete pro charger kit to the truck to help with the towing duties and can't say I am completely satisfide with it is at this point (nothing wrong with procharger and I not bashing them becasue I might have someting off). The truck is bone stock, I mean bone stock but in good mechanical condition. I used my Fast duel wideband from the race car to set the fuel pressure on the FMU and it only needed 1/4 turn from factory to have an AF of 12.6 at max boost. There is no detination or breaking up at all, turn the FMU out 1/2 turn like the manual says and the truck is a dog. Leave it all the way in where it comes from the factory and it detinates at high boost and RPM. I am running only 93 octane gas from BP.

The problem I have is this (and this might be the way a super charger is, I have not idea since its my first venture with one) from a dead stop when you floor it the truck accelerates like it did when it was stock (it wont even spin the tires in 2wd) until the RPMs come up over 2500-3000 and then is starts to build boost around 15-20 mph. After it builds boost it deffinately has way more power then before and will put down some decent 20 to 75 mph times in a short distance but there seems to be nothing on the low end where I will do most of my towing and driving. It makes 9 psi at full throttle after it builds up and will make around 4-5 psi all day long at part throttle but nothing right off the bat if you floor it or 1/4 throttle? There doesn't seem to be much tuneability to this kit other then the FMU or am I missing something here also?

Is this kind of performance I am getting normal or is something off? I understand that its not going to be like my 800 hp drag car but I honestly expected more out of it. I plan on adding an aftermarket exhaust and upgrading the trans (an suggestions on a shift kit or aftermarket valve body would also be appreciated) this winter. I will eventually rebuild the motor and do my typical upgrades like better cams, slugs and rods. As for now I plan on using it the way it is until I absolutely have to do the rebuild but I still I need to get the most out of it the way it sits.

thanks for any input.

Last edited by bidjohnson; 09-28-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added more
Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If its a brand new kit.......
I try giving procharger a call and tell them what's going on.
Did you put in different spark plugs?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The centri superchargers (being half of a turbo just belt driven) still have some turbo lag. What people usually do is put say a 15PSI pulley on it with a turbo 12PSI blow off, this way it spools instant. Of course you need some extras to go to 12psi but thats how it basically works.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah its got brand new NGK TR6's gapped to .032 just like pro charger said. Just thougt I would check with you guys first since alot of the members are already using the kits and can report directly what they have seen.

Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
is your "pro-valve" leaking? the procharger supplied bypass valve sucks, big time...

are you getting any belt slip?

those plugs are gapped pretty tight for 8# of boost...

a 90mm MAF, a 3.10 upper pulley (3#), 42# injectors and a good tune will do wonders, my truck would blow the tires off with the FMU then bog out and then pull hard again, the tune and fuel mods with the pulley made a huge difference

is your transmission slipping by any chance??

Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Ditch the FMU...custom tune time....
Also like onelow said, check your valve...

Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
is your "pro-valve" leaking? the procharger supplied bypass valve sucks, big time...

are you getting any belt slip?

those plugs are gapped pretty tight for 8# of boost...

a 90mm MAF, a 3.10 upper pulley (3#), 42# injectors and a good tune will do wonders, my truck would blow the tires off with the FMU then bog out and then pull hard again, the tune and fuel mods with the pulley made a huge difference

is your transmission slipping by any chance??
First, thanks for the info. Will any of the mods void my 3 year warranty? It deffinately is not blowing the tires off the truck, like I said I expected more......its got to be there so where is it. I don't think the bypass is leaking but than again I don't know how to test it and pluss the fact that its brand new. Are they that bad from procharger and if so why the heck don't they re-design it and fix the problem. I got the plug part number and gap from Procharger.....what are you gapping your plugs at? What was your FMU set to (what did you have to tune it to from stock)from the factory setting? Mine is only 1/4 turn out from where it came set fully seated. Even though my AF is reading good with the Fast WB does it seem like I adjusted it lets say with in the norm for this kit as far as what everyone else has had to do?

I can't hear any belt slip...is there any other sign to look for other than hearing it. I adjusted it the way the manual said and its making 9 pounds of boost so what do you think......could it still make that kind of boost and be slipping? To be honest its kind of tight compared to what I usally set adjustble belts to.....was afriad of hurting the mains at first but no problems yet.

I can't feel any trans slip, as a matter of fact when its showing boost on the gauge the truck realy accelerates harder then it ever did new and it shifts at alot higher rpm now and real hard compared to what it did before the install. Its not as hard or fast as the glide in the dragster but its way differant than its ever been. It acctually had me worried that it would give up the ghost any time I get in the gas.....what other mods can we do to the factory trans. Sorry for all the questions but its new to me.

Last edited by bidjohnson; 09-28-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Here are some links to the car build and some license runs......I post these because in the racing world today and on the internet there are a ton of keyboard racers and big talkers. I dont' wan't anybody thinking the new guy is a blow hard or a liar because I am not to proud to ask for help with stuff I don't know about.

Build.
http://www.insanemustangs.com/forums...l-sponsor.html

Runs
http://www.insanemustangs.com/forums...t-license.html

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by bidjohnson
First, thanks for the info. Will any of the mods void my 3 year warranty? It deffinately is not blowing the tires off the truck, like I said I expected more......its got to be there so where is it. I don't think the bypass is leaking but than again I don't know how to test it and pluss the fact that its brand new. Are they that bad from procharger and if so why the heck don't they re-design it and fix the problem. I got the plug part number and gap from Procharger.....what are you gapping your plugs at? What was your FMU set to (what did you have to tune it to from stock)from the factory setting? Mine is only 1/4 turn out from where it came set fully seated. Even though my AF is reading good with the Fast WB does it seem like I adjusted it lets say with in the norm for this kit as far as what everyone else has had to do?

I can't hear any belt slip...is there any other sign to look for other than hearing it. I adjusted it the way the manual said and its making 9 pounds of boost so what do you think......could it still make that kind of boost and be slipping? To be honest its kind of tight compared to what I usally set adjustble belts to.....was afriad of hurting the mains at first but no problems yet.

I can't feel any trans slip, as a matter of fact when its showing boost on the gauge the truck realy accelerates harder then it ever did new and it shifts at alot higher rpm now and real hard compared to what it did before the install. Its not as hard or fast as the glide in the dragster but its way differant than its ever been. It acctually had me worried that it would give up the ghost any time I get in the gas.....what other mods can we do to the factory trans. Sorry for all the questions but its new to me.
#1 belt slip - look for any fine black powder around the pulleys

#2 leaking bypass valve - remove the bypass valve and see if you can blow thru it

#3 what gears do you have?

#4 do you have anyway to datalog?

#5 how does it do from a roll (kickdown from 2'd to 1st and then back on up WOT?

#6 I hate to tell you to spend more money (but with a dragster you know, you've got to pay to play) and you're either gonna have to pulley it up and run a waste gate or pulley it up for 15# and get a solid tune

#7 what were the outside temps like? and do you have the 2 or 3 core i/c??

#8 stock transmission - add a valve body (the most prefferred is teh transgo but I am running a factory tech and it shifts HARD, so hard my wife was afraid of goint WOT with the baby in the truck

Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 PM

and honesstly after reading your post, the only way you're gonna be happy with the procharger is to run the wastegate'd set up

Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Old 09-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
#1 belt slip - look for any fine black powder around the pulleys

#2 leaking bypass valve - remove the bypass valve and see if you can blow thru it

#3 what gears do you have?

#4 do you have anyway to datalog?

#5 how does it do from a roll (kickdown from 2'd to 1st and then back on up WOT?

#6 I hate to tell you to spend more money (but with a dragster you know, you've got to pay to play) and you're either gonna have to pulley it up and run a waste gate or pulley it up for 15# and get a solid tune

#7 what were the outside temps like? and do you have the 2 or 3 core i/c??

#8 stock transmission - add a valve body (the most prefferred is teh transgo but I am running a factory tech and it shifts HARD, so hard my wife was afraid of goint WOT with the baby in the truck
Ok here we go.

1)No black powder or visible signs on the pullys or surrounding area.
2)Will try to do it tonight when I get off work.
3)3.73 4x4 truck with the towing package.
4))Only with the Fast O2 system reading the AF....sorry thats it for now.
5)If you are rolling and floor it, when it down shifts the boost comes on quick and it pulls pretty hard until shift and then it pulls hard the entire next gear. If I remember right the boost drops some on the shift though and builds back up with more RPM.......No problems passing any sunday drivers. Problem is mostly from a dead stop but Im sure even the top end has more in it if Im not tuning right.
6) Yeah your right on that one, I am no stranger to spending money with a yates headed stroker in the cobra just wish when it says bolt on it would mean bolt on and thats all I would have to do. Can you PM a list of parts.... (keep in mind the truck is bone stock, also will these void the extended warranty). I also read several responses about needing a custom tune? What else can I tune other then the FMU? Dont' beat me up to bad.....Im a carb guy by heart and have no clue here. Looks like no cam upgrade or NOS fogger for the cobra this winter..........
7)Its got a 2 core and the outside temps here in wisconsin have been in the 50's-60's lately.
8)I will look into ordering it this winter, still waiting to see if I will need to have the trans rebuilt this winter or not.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry there is a little lag time in my response here.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 PM

once your PM's are on I will

Old 09-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Cool thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Procharger Instal