Pre-1997 Models

Fuel 87 F150

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel 87 F150

Where is the filter and pump on my 87 F150?
I will be replacing the smog pump tomorrow, and want to start on the fuel pump & filter next.
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Fuel Filter should be on the frame rail on the drivers side towards the front. The Fuel pumps is a little bit of a longer story, is it dual tanks or single?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Dual tanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
There's 3 pumps total then, 2 low pressure pumps in the tanks, and one high pressure pump on the frame rail (before the filter) the in-tank low pressure pumps trigger the selector valve (manually), then once the gas makes it through the selector valve, the high pressure pump takes it from there. What is it doing? why do you need to replace the pump?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I was told by a customer (who is a mechanic) that I should replace the fuel pump and filter. His thoughts were that the engine was not getting enough fuel, or that the filter was clogged.This truck had not been started for almost 2 years. I have been able to get it to start, but shuts off soon after with a high pitched whining. I discovered that the smog pump would not turn, and replaced that this morning. I have not been able to get it to turn over yet.
I am a little stumped, but not discouraged. This is a great truck, clean, two owners and 153k miles.
Thanks for all the replies that I have recieved.
I will be happy to answer any cooking questions. I'm just a chef who happens to have a truck.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:03 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Before you start tearing into the fuel pumps, replace the fuel filter and hook up a fuel pressure gauge. Try both fuel tanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Before you start tearing into the fuel pumps, replace the fuel filter and hook up a fuel pressure gauge. Try both fuel tanks.
Agreed, replace that then try the pressure, if the pressure is there than the pump(s) are fine. Once you've determined if there's good or bad pressure, then go from there. Fuel filteris extremely easy to replace. There's a hose clap (even tho it's not clamping a hose) that holds the filter to the frame rail, and little plastic clamps on the hoses, a flat blade screwdriver (or finger nail, or since your a chef, a butter knife) will pull the clips off. Just be ready for a little fuel to spray out...not much, but enough to make you angry because you have gas all over yourself. The system might still be under pressure (especially if the filter is clogged). If you get no fuel pressure at all (after you change the filter) check and make sure your fuel pump relay is working. You should hear it click when you turn the key on (but don't try to start the engine), then click again about 1-2 seconds later. Even after those tests don't replace the pump just yet, it's possible that the selector valve on frame rail (before the filter and before the high pressure pump) is clogged and no allowing fuel to get through. My test for that (dunno how safe it is lol) is to disconnect the fuel lines fron the FRONT of the selector valve and turn the key to run (not start) then turn it back off and get out and look under the truck. There should be only a little bit of gas (because this is before the high pressure pump, it won't spary a lot) under the truck. If there is, then at least one out of the 2 in-tank pumps is good, switch it to the other tank and do the same test. On the second test you may need to run the test twice, because the low pressure pump turning on inside the tank is what makes the selector valve switch from one tank to another. Finally, check the connector at the fuel pump and make sure it's getting 12volts (you'll need a multimeter). If it passes all those test and STILL does not show any fuel pressure, the only thing I can think of is that a fuel line is literally clogged (never seen that), the high pressure pump is bad, or maybe the fuel pressure regulator (never seen a bad one cause this either).

Last edited by booba5185; 11-09-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Clinton
I was told by a customer (who is a mechanic) that I should replace the fuel pump and filter. His thoughts were that the engine was not getting enough fuel, or that the filter was clogged.
Those are distinct symptoms, so it's not likely that you need to do BOTH. Start with the filter (it needs it, no matter what), then check the fuel pressure before buying any pumps. This is the HP pump, filter, reservoir, & the 2nd is the in-tank pump:

This truck had not been started for almost 2 years. I have been able to get it to start, but shuts off soon after with a high pitched whining. I discovered that the smog pump would not turn...
So the whine was coming from the belt sliding over the air pump pulley?
...replaced that this morning. I have not been able to get it to turn over yet.
Do you mean the starter won't turn the engine? Or the engine doesn't try to fire (coughing, sputtering)? Or it tries, but won't actually run & idle?

Last edited by Steve83; 11-10-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Smile 87 F150 wnt start

Thanks for all the replies. I will replace the filter and investigate further. I can smell gas when the engine is trying to start. My neighbor is of the opinion that I have no spark. I have no knowledge of spark plugs, but am reading up on it.
I now know how folks feel when they get stuck or frustrated cooking an unfamiliar dish or cuisine!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your ignition system is similar to the '92 in this diagram:

Quick Reply: Fuel 87 F150