Where did you run your power cable?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you run your power cable?

Alrighty all, I am going to run my power wire from battery to the amp tonight and I was trying to find out where everyone ran their cable to get inside the cab from the engine bay? I'd rather not drill if i can get away with it. Pics would be awesome Thanks for any help

Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
No pic but I ran mine through an existing grommet in the firewall. The grommet is just inboard from the battery about halfway down the firewall. It took some finagling to get the cable past the deadening/heat barrier in the cab and up around the HVAC plenum, but it puts the cable in exactly the right place to drop it down into the wiring channel in the door sill.

Brad

Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Good deal thanks man

Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Look you've made a few posts here, do us a favor and search next time. There's about 30+ threads on wire location. I'm not trying to be a jerk but more as a heads up before someone really rips you a new one. Thanks bro.

Also there's many people who go underneath the cab to a grommet underneath the rear door sill. I prefer there much easier for larger wire.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 AM
I ran mine through the rear door sill grommet also.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I'm new to the whole amp, speakers, sub deal. I have read that wherever you run your power wire, you want to avoid running any other wires near it for the fact of interruptions. If i was to run the wire outside the cab and up into the cab near the amp on the back wall, would I run into any issues with running rcas under the door sill on this same side?

What I'm doing is hooking up an amp and a 10" sub. I will be mounting the amp in the current jack location for ease of access. So, if I could avoid having to run the wires down the driver side it would be easier on me, but not really a huge issues if I have to.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
I personally would not run the RCA's on the same side as the power cable. The remote won't matter if you run it with the power.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Subwoofer RCA's are unaffected running next to power wires. That's only for a full-range signal. The alternator leaves ac current in the 12v line. This radiates as "alt whine" (it's alot more technical that that) it's a high pitched frequency that is inaudible through the subwoofer. However, it plays beautifully through mids and tweets.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Subwoofer RCA's are unaffected running next to power wires. That's only for a full-range signal. The alternator leaves ac current in the 12v line. This radiates as "alt whine" (it's alot more technical that that) it's a high pitched frequency that is inaudible through the subwoofer. However, it plays beautifully through mids and tweets.
Great! That's what I wanted to hear.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 PM
5 of my runs of 1/0 gauge are ran under the truck lol!!

but you can usually run it from the battery between the fender and down,, i also found out you can run it under the steering wheel and down by the kick panels and run it to the back, you just have to take a few moment searching for open gourmets, def isnt too hard in a navigator

Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
I personally would not run the RCA's on the same side as the power cable. The remote won't matter if you run it with the power.
if you get ground noise, well the answer is in the question lol.."ground noise" you will have to ground your RCA inputs. i have had more then 20 costumers come to me and 19 of them with pioneer decks,

Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by T3audioNavi
if you get ground noise, well the answer is in the question lol.."ground noise" you will have to ground your RCA inputs. i have had more then 20 costumers come to me and 19 of them with pioneer decks,
i have a pioneer and every time it gets to about 3-5 without music playing it sounds like abunch of static and the higher the volume the more static (DUH! lol) would grounding my rca cables fix this? and if so, how do i do it? lol my rca cables are ran right with my power wire down the door sill as well as my remote turn on. what can i do? its not a big deal, but id be happier without the static. lol

Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by T3audioNavi
How does that even partly answer that statement? Where did anything about a Pioneer Radio even become mentioned? And grounding the RCA's lying next to a power wire isnt going to remove any 'alt whine' present in the cables. (The 12v interferes with the center pin not the outside shield pin.)

Originally Posted by ridinonmoto17s
i have a pioneer and every time it gets to about 3-5 without music playing it sounds like abunch of static and the higher the volume the more static (DUH! lol) would grounding my rca cables fix this? and if so, how do i do it? lol my rca cables are ran right with my power wire down the door sill as well as my remote turn on. what can i do? its not a big deal, but id be happier without the static. lol
Theres a lot more going on that a simple issue. Grounding the RCA's may remove some (if any... I doubt it) but this is far from over. You might try relocating the RCA's. Rechecking your ground. Check all wires for a slice in the jacket causing a ground. Start there, if that doesnt help email me.

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 01-07-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 PM
RCAs next to power wire have nothing to do with noise. Run your RCAs wherever it's convenient. If that happens to be beside the power wire, so be it. Basic electrical knowledge will tell you the the slight ripple voltage on the power wire isn't going to induce any kind of noise in a simple shielded cable. It would take a large variation in current, not voltage, to create a magnetic field capable of inducing noise. No such current variation exists in your power wire. Additionally, if you have a good battery under the hood and nothing is wrong with your alternator, even the voltage ripple is negligible. The source of alt whine is differential in the ground between the head unit and the amp coupled with poor signal ground isolation. The system equalizes the ground differential over the RCA, introducing ripple noise into the system. If your grounds are solid and no equipment is damaged/defective, you will not have noise. You can go so far as to zip-tie the RCAs to the power wire (I have done so in the past) and it isn't an issue.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by helotaxi
RCAs next to power wire have nothing to do with noise. Run your RCAs wherever it's convenient. If that happens to be beside the power wire, so be it. Basic electrical knowledge will tell you the the slight ripple voltage on the power wire isn't going to induce any kind of noise in a simple shielded cable. It would take a large variation in current, not voltage, to create a magnetic field capable of inducing noise. No such current variation exists in your power wire. Additionally, if you have a good battery under the hood and nothing is wrong with your alternator, even the voltage ripple is negligible. The source of alt whine is differential in the ground between the head unit and the amp coupled with poor signal ground isolation. The system equalizes the ground differential over the RCA, introducing ripple noise into the system. If your grounds are solid and no equipment is damaged/defective, you will not have noise. You can go so far as to zip-tie the RCAs to the power wire (I have done so in the past) and it isn't an issue.
Sorry sir, not trying to get into an argument about this but that is incorrect. Just because youve done it in the past doesnt make it right. I have been installing for MANY years now and have seen these situations before. And yes, there are large variations in current.... aka the spikes/surges as the amp draws power due to music fluctuations. Yes, I may not have taken it to the nth degree to explain. It works much easier for those not in the know technically.

Just because you have solid grounds doesnt mean that you cannot introduce noise via the HU to Amp connection. If the grounds are different by even slight amounts, it can introduce noise. And thats not including interference caused by outside sources: power wires, control boxes, RF interference that may be picked up from the body of the car, etc.

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 01-11-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where did you run your power cable?