2004 - 2008 F-150

Coolant/Antifreeze question

Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Coolant/Antifreeze question

Please don't give me a how-to or you should use this and not use that reply.

What coolant/antifreeze are you using in your truck? Is anyone using or has used SuperTech or Prestone AMAMs?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm confused. First you say that you don't want people to tell you what to use, then you ask what people are using? I'll answer anyways.

The correct answer is simple. Zerex G-05 is the only coolant available for 02+ Fords without going to the dealer for Motorcraft. Using anything else requires a total backflush. Even if you do backflush, might as well use the recommended coolant since it doesn't get any better than that.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/br.../antifreeze/42

It's the gold formula for Ford and Chrysler vehicles. I'm not running it in my truck yet, but that's what will go in when the time comes. Available at NAPA. Their part number is ZXG05 if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by EsJayEs
I'm confused. First you say that you don't want people to tell you what to use, then you ask what people are using? I'll answer anyways.

The correct answer is simple. Zerex G-05 is the only coolant available for 02+ Fords without going to the dealer for Motorcraft. Using anything else requires a total backflush. Even if you do backflush, might as well use the recommended coolant since it doesn't get any better than that.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/br.../antifreeze/42

It's the gold formula for Ford and Chrysler vehicles. I'm not running it in my truck yet, but that's what will go in when the time comes. Available at NAPA. Their part number is ZXG05 if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps.
Not to insult your intelligance,but that is exactly what I did not want to hear or see.I already know what Ford recommends in my truck. I was simply asking,what coolant/antifreeze are you using in your truck? Is anyone using or has used SuperTech or Prestone AMAMs?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Thumbs up

This is what everyone is "taught" to believe by the factory,that to use their products or else. I did a thorough research on this subject by calling 12 radiator shops in and around where I live.Each one stated they use AMAMs type coolant in their customers vehicles.They "only" used factory fill if the vehicle was still under warranty.One shop owner told me he only uses the "old green" coolant!
I do know from experience that using factory parts for certain things is the way to go.But there are times when there are things that meet or exceed factory specs and you can use them.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I used supertech in my '92 with no problems. Is there some kind of formulation requirement for the newer truck engines? If not, I'll keep using the supertech. It worked for 18 years in the '92.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Why not use recommended coolant? Is your listed coolants cheaper? On a side note. Some people use FRAM oil filters and they too work for awhile.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 60DRB
I know I used supertech in my '92 with no problems. Is there some kind of formulation requirement for the newer truck engines? If not, I'll keep using the supertech. It worked for 18 years in the '92.
From my understanding,2002 and newer F150s are filled from the factory with Motorcraft Gold coolant.Zerex is the only coolant,that I know of,that meets factory fill specs,which is VC-7-B/WSS-M97B51-A1.

If you do a complete flush of your cooling system you can basically use whatever coolant you want to.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by fatty4x4
Why not use recommended coolant? Is your listed coolants cheaper? On a side note. Some people use FRAM oil filters and they too work for awhile.
I knew there was going to be those that can't just answer my question.

Why do some people use a K&N air filter? Why do some use Autolite plugs? Why do some use Amsoil or Valvoline,or Mobil1 fluids? We can ask these questions forever.We can use whatever we want to use as long as it does not cause damage or harm to our vehicle.
And yes,the listed coolants I posted are cheaper.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Thumbs up

Here is an example of what the factory wants you to think and how you don't have to! Think of the man on the screen as the factory,the audience as the consumer,and the athlete/runner as the aftermarket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OYecfV3ubP8

Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Not to insult your intelligance,but that is exactly what I did not want to hear or see.I already know what Ford recommends in my truck. I was simply asking,what coolant/antifreeze are you using in your truck? Is anyone using or has used SuperTech or Prestone AMAMs?
I used Zerex G-05 in my 2004 The other 2 products you mention i have never seen or heard of.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
No insult taken here

Not to insult your intelligence though, but why ask what to use in your truck if you already know? Any coolant will get the job done. However, I put far more trust in Ford’s engineers than some “radiator guy”.

It sounds like you came here looking for the answer you want to hear. If you want to use Wal-Mart brand, go for it. It will get the job done if you want to save a few bucks and change it that much sooner.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Smile

Not to insult your intelligence though, but why ask what to use in your truck if you already know?
Can you go back and read my original post? I did not ask what to use,but what are you using in your truck!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by RUSS04
I used Zerex G-05 in my 2004.
Thank you RUSS04,that's all i'm asking.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Thank you RUSS04,that's all i'm asking.
Your Welcome BlueOvalFitter

Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Can you go back and read my original post? I did not ask what to use,but what are you using in your truck!
Asked and answered in my first reply

If you are insulted that I went through the front door to answer your back door question, oops

Either way, you're welcome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant/Antifreeze question