Pre-1997 Models

Auto Shift Linkage Adjustment

Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Shift Linkage Adjustment

I recently started having the problem where my 95 F150 4X4 Auto E40D won't start in park. I had to shift it into neutral and it would fire right up. After about a week I noticed it would shift correctly and felt sluggish like it was in too high a gear. So I did a little reading and figured it was the MLPS/TR Sensor/Neutral Safety Switch was the problem. So I ordered a new Motorcraft part. It looks exactly like the old one, pins and everything. I put the truck in neutral, lined up the lines and tried to put the metal control arm back on. It didn't line up. Perhaps that was the problem all along. I'm assuming the control arm has to fall into place with no pressure front or back correct? How do I adjust it? At the steering column in the truck or at the transmission? I looked at the transmission end and I didn't see a way to adjust it.

MLPS Part is f5az7a247aa.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Where does the indicator show on the guage panel when its in park?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Neutral. The control arm is close to fitting. It's just a little off so I wonder if its pushing the switch just enough to trip it. With the old switch I had to shift into neutral to start. Now I have to shift into neutral and pull the shift lever toward me. I did check when I started it and shifted into reverse to see if the reverse lights were on and they were.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I hate posts that have the same question I have but there is no conclusion to the problem.

So my problem is fixed now. It turned out to be the two bolts holding the shift cable under the front dash. Yes, there is a lot of write ups out there but I read them after I bought the neutral safety switch. I'm beating my head for not searching the forums and net more before jumping to purchase new parts. One bolt was loose, the other was about to fall out. Stupid stupid stupid.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry I missed that one buddy, easy fix like you found with the two torqx screws. I'd pull em out one at a time and put a dab locktite on 'em.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM
No worries man. The information was out there I just didn't look hard enough. Live and learn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Shift Linkage Adjustment