Transmission Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Problems!

Let me start by saying that I have the Gryphon and am waiting on my custom tunes. I have an 05 f150 with the 4.6. I was driving today and my truck shifted really hard twice. I took it back out later to see if I could pinpoint what was wrong with it and it began to completely drive funny. It started to rev up really high and would not drive any faster. I pulled over and in the dialogue box Trans Fault came up and the codes P2106 and P0720 came up as well. When I would put my truck in drive it would rev up really high for about 10 seconds before it would go anywhere and then once it would move it would go any faster than 20-30 MPH. I was only about 1 mile from home so I went on home very slowly. What is going on???

Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
maybe your speed sensor, the rear sensor on the left side tranny, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1189648

Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the help Bob. I meant to repost on here and update everyone. I'm about 99% sure that my problem is not Gryphon related. I did a bunch of researching on multiple forums and websites and am pretty sure that my Output Shaft Speed Sensor has gone bad. Talked to our parts dealer today and the sensor is only $25 bucks so I told em to get it and it will be at our shop in the AM. I'll be sure to let everyone know if that fixes my problem.

I do have a question about the location of the sensor though. I crawled under my truck the other night to look at the location of the sensor and am pretty sure I found it. Isn't it the sensor right above where the o2 sensor runs over towards the tranny? I'm going to have our head mechanic look at it tomorrow and he should be able to tell but I'd like to be able to confirm it for him in the rare case that he's not sure.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Also, any idea what causes that sensor to go bad? Just one of those things that sometimes goes with age?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by spencerdrewh
Also, any idea what causes that sensor to go bad? Just one of those things that sometimes goes with age?
Anything can fail. I wonder about the condition of the electrical connection to the sensor. If that is poor, it would possibly generate the same symptoms.

And, you can eliminate the programmer as a cause by changing the tune back to stock and finding if the problem persists. I'm in your camp though, I doubt very much that the programmer is at fault.

- Jack

Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Anything can fail. I wonder about the condition of the electrical connection to the sensor. If that is poor, it would possibly generate the same symptoms.

And, you can eliminate the programmer as a cause by changing the tune back to stock and finding if the problem persists. I'm in your camp though, I doubt very much that the programmer is at fault.

- Jack
Electrical is probably my weakest point with anything automotive related so I plan on having our mechanic check that tomorrow. A few local people that I've gotten opinions from have thought that it's transmission related and I'm beginning to think that they're right. I meant to post an update on here yesterday but fell asleep early. I put the new sensor on yesterday, put it in drive and it moved great. I'd gotten only about 35 yards when I began to hear a noise that sounds like what a bad power steering pump sounds like (but am 99.9% sure it's nothing power steering related). I put my truck in park and hopped out and crawled under to get an idea of where the sound was coming from. It sounded about like it was coming from the front of the transmission. I was in the process of pulling my truck into one of our bays to put it on a lift and get it into the air to better pinpoint the sound when the same problems started back up (on a side note, I put the tune back to stock to see if that made a difference and it hasn't. Further confirmation that it's not Gryphon related). Me and a couple guys pushed it the rest of the way in and I got it in the air later on today and dropped the transmission pan. There seemed to be a lot more stuff on the magnet than there should have been considering I dropped the pan between 5,000-7,500 miles ago. A friend at Year One said he thought the whining could be transmission pump related. At this point I'm more confused than ever though.

Any way i can move this thread to the transmission section and retitle it?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Moved and retitled.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Moved and retitled.
Thanks Bluejay. Much obliged. Great news! The truck's running great!I stayed a little late last night and put my truck up in the air and dropped the tranny pan. After I got it dropped I decided to deal with it today. When i went in this morning, I looked at the magnet and it had a good deal of stuff on it and there was also a bit of very fine particles mixed in with the litle bit of remaining fluid in the pan.I looked at the filter and the inside was nearly black ! I decided to start cheap and called in a new filter kit and fluid. Put the filter in, Put the pan back on with the new gasket and bolted it back up. Let the truck down and got her filled up with fluid. Held my foot on the brake and went down through the gears, then back up, then down again, then back up one last time. Checked the fluid again and topped it off. Took it for a test drive and she ran like a charm ! Im still trying to figure out why the filter was so gunked up though. We use some of the BG products at our shop and when i dropped the pan about 7,500 miles ago I used a 2-can pack of tranny conditioner. My only guess is that stuff cleaned it really well and all the debris that it cleaned is what clogged up the filter. Any thoughts?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
My thoughts are in your other thread. Keep that stuff out of your tranny.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems!