2010 F150 - Borla XR-1 (Round #40085) Review and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150 - Borla XR-1 (Round #40085) Review and Impressions

Hey All!

Today I swapped out my Magnapack (#14419) with a the Round Borla XR-1 (#40085). Here is my review and impressions after owning the product for the past 6 hours and quite a bit of driving through the different phases. I will try to make comparisons to the Oval XR-1 I had mounted as well as my Magnapack throughout the review to put things in a better perspective.

My Setup
Vehicle: 2010 F150 FX4 (5.4L)
Exhaust: Mandrel bent 409SS SI/DO
Tip: Magnaflow Rolled edge 18", 2.5" in - 4" out.
Midpipe: 3"

Product Finish/Quality
It's a Borla, so the product looked great out of the box and the packaging was very tight and well done. No wierd welds, ding/dents, etc.. Typical Borla quality.

Install
The #40085 Borla is the same as my Magnapack (#14419) in that both are 3" in - 3" out, so it was a very easy swap. My exhaust guy did the entire install in about 20 min. Nothing much to report here other than no issues with the install.

Initial Startup
Initial startup from outside the truck sounded "similar" volume wise to the Oval XR-1 with 2 big main differences; 1) The round muffler was deeper. 2) Rasp with the Round offering was pretty much non-existent and the sound had a more "punchy" tone to it. As the installer drove it off his lift and drove around the building, the first thing I noted was how smooth and consistent it sounded. Whereas the Magnapack sort of has a cacophony to it sound wise, the round XR-1 had a loud yet refined sound to it that seemed to remain as he drove around.

Volume wise, the Magnapack was the loudest at initial startup. The round XR-1 being 2nd, and the oval XR-1 a close third.

Idle is noticable inside but not loud or obnoxious. There's a mellow "thump-thump-thump" sound to the exhuast but nothing one would call loud at all. It is mellow but you know it's there.

Initial Drive
Acceleration from a stop is very smooth soundwise with a clear punchy sound. Not a racket or choppy sound, much more of a very clean and deep growl. As you pass into the higher gears, the tone does.not.change. It just gets louder, but never intrusive in the cab. The clear and precise tone that comes from the muffler is ever present and never annoying. At no time did I feel annoyed by the sound or that it could be "better" in some way. I was very pleased all-around on my initial drive. I was really suprised at the lack of raspyness and just how "clean" it sounded.

Freeway Cruise
The distinct Borla tone remained here as well. Getting up into 1800-2000-2200rpm ranges never seemed to really produce a drone. Obviously the truck is louder in these ranges, but it wasn't a bassy reverberation type of sound. It sounded more like a deep well-tuned growl. The Magnanpack is definitely more noticable at the higher rpms ranges but is also less refined with less consistency of tone. However, this is not really a bad thing if you like the tone the Magnapack produces. It most definitely did not produce drone for me either on the freeway in the higher rpms ranges, it was just a little louder and a little more intrusive in the cab. I had no issues with the Magnapack on the freeway and think it too sounds excellent in this range....it just produces a different sound. The round XR-1 sounds more like a deep Masseratti (sp?) type of sound. The Oval XR-1 was the most intrusive in the cab in the 1800 or so rpm range. When getting up to freeway speed, the oval XR-1 definitely droned for a little bit until you got out of the "zone". The oval also sounded less aggressive from a "punchyness" (yeah, I make up words) of tone standpoint. Whereas the oval is more bassy in sound, the round is more precise and clean.

Performance
I don't own a dyno (I had a t-rex as a kid I played with in the bathtub though), so anything performance related is really just seat of the pants feeling and nothing more. Having said that, the XR-1 (both round and oval) both feel like they have more get up and go than my Magnapack. After owning two Borla systems and a Corsa Db, the Magnapack just made the truck feel.....heavier, if that makes any sense. There is much more of a "you step on it and it goes!" with the Borla and Corsa offerings I had. I'm not saying the Magnapack is a dog (as the Chevy owner up the street), but it most definitely feels like it slightly underperforms when compared to the XR-1 and Corsa Db I had. Again, this is just my "feeling" from driving with each product, ymmv.

Conclusion
Overall, I am very pleased with it. After 1 full kit install and purchase and 3 muffler swaps, I finally feel like I have found "the" exhaust for me. I liked the punchyness of the Magnaflow but the consistency of tone of the oval XR-1. I liked the lack of drone from the Magnapack but the deep note of the oval XR-1. Everywhere I looked there was something I liked about one but not about the other. I really wanted to find something that had the qualities of each that I liked all wrapped up in one package.

To me, the round XR-1 really comprises the best of each system I have owned. The punchyness of the Magnapack, the consistency of the oval XR-1, and the "clean" sound of my Corsa. It really does represent what I spent the last year or so looking for. Having said that, if the round XR-1 was not an option, I would be all over the Magnapack like white on rice.

I will try and put up some videos this evening spanning startup, cruise, and freeway driving.

Hope you all enjoyed the review and my impressions of the Round Borla XR-1 #40085.

Startup Video (Warm)- For reference on the Round offering's agressiveness, compare this to the oval model's sound. Quite a difference. - Sorry for the sound quality, still using my phone for videos. My phone has a way of picking up background noise like no tomorrow. lol

Freeway Cruise

Cruising around town

Last edited by Arklight; 07-07-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added a video.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very good write up here. Glad your happy with it!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Thanks for the write up! We stock a ton of the Borla Mufflers here and the XR-1 is very popular!

http://www.ajusa.com/Borla-XR-1-Stai...ers-c2b12.html

Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Nice write up. I will agree with all this. I feel the same way considering I have the same muffler, but slightly different setup.

Another +1 for the Borla XR-1 40085.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Agreed, sounds exactly what I think of my ror with hi flows. Crazy smooth just gets louder as rpms change.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Added a startup video to my original post.

Still working on other videos. Should have a few more tomorrow.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't wait to get home and listen! And then possibly order . I was going to go with that muffler last year but I felt the 4" Magnapack would be more my preference, however I don't enjoy the loss of tone under throttle.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
You will go Borla next time! I have faith in ya.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
You will go Borla next time! I have faith in ya.
Probably sooner than expected. I have a hanger that broke so I want to get that done, and possibly have the guy re-angle a tip some. Could order the muffler before hand and take it all at once! Then, LTs and #94136s! This manifold leak is horrible!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 PM
^ nice!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 PM
I made 2 more videos, a freeway drive and a 3 minute drive home from work (with stops, acceleration, cruise and WOT). I will try and post them this evening. If I can't, I will get them up tomorrow.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Sounds good. I would like to compare yours to my S-type setup. I haven't driven mine but like two times. What you described sounds a lot like mine. My truck has a nice deep Thump,Thump,Thump. Gets louder as you mash gas with a nice rumble as engine backs down. I have to work the next 3 days,but plan on making some better videos too. Just got to find a nice quiet long strech of not busy road.I posted two short clips on the other thread Torn between Mag or Borla. Im running stock pipe, looking to get a tip probably like yours. Looking forward to hearing yours. Also it is hard to get a true impression of the way these sound using cameras and phones to record, so they really do sound better on the spot.

Last edited by Koolponycar; 07-07-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Nice writeup ArkLight! Are you SURE that you are satisfied with this one and no more changing? Haha, but damn, do those Borla's sound good!

I wanna switch from Packs to the Borla's for the consistent DEEPNESS you talk about but I really don't wanna put anymore $$ in this truck. You gonna get some LT Headers for this thing?

Old 07-07-2012, 07:04 PM
2 more videos added.

Hey, Sweet_n_low! Nope, not lTs here. I live in California so those aren't allowed. Don't want to destroy everybody's bleeding heart lives with sound.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Sounds simular to a magnaflow imho

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 - Borla XR-1 (Round #40085) Review and Impressions