1997 - 2003 F-150

Gas Pedal keeps sticking!!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gas Pedal keeps sticking!!!!

On my 02 F150 Screw Lariat my pedal sticks for about 1/4 of an inch to a full inch when I push it! If I tap it when I go to push it, it doesn't stick but if i just push it, it sticks and then it gets sets free and throws me and my passengers back into our seats. It's very annoying and it's getting worse, I have no idea what to do. ANY HELP would be much appreciated!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Clean your throttle body. It probably has carbon near the butterfly plate and so the plate sticks when it's closed.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
correct on TB cleaning. not that hard to do. heck i think it can be done with it on the truck... just get some cleaner, old toothbrush and scrub. while you're in there get some MAF cleaner and clean it.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Edit *never mind.... wrong year model.*

Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 AM
What type of cleaner do I use? And what is MAF?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Berrymans b12 is the best cleaner but I'd remove the throttle body to clean it out real good. Might also help to remove the cast-aluminum elbow that goes from the throttle body to the intake manifold and clean it as well.

Also, check the springs. If I remember correctly there are two throttle body rebound springs - one on the throttle body itself and another that connects to the throttle linkage to a bracket on the intake manifold. One of those may have come loose.

Last edited by Fordtrucktexan; 01-04-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-throttle.html

FYI...I went to clean my TB last year when this happened and there was nothing to clean. No build up or anything around the butterfly to indicate a potential problem. Now that the temp has really dropped around here, my truck has already started doing it again. I'm used to it now and it bothers me even less now that I know what it is. Plus, once the motor warms up, it quits sticking.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I think some of you guys in the colder climates might want to spray some liquid graphite on the tb cable ends and work the cable back and forth....some of the times moisture can work/wick its way into the cable sheathing/cover then freeze on cold days not allowing proper cable movement/sticking...until the engine compartment is warmed up....

You don't want to spray any lube that going to gum up in colder temps either....

If the above doesn't work one may want to try a new tb cable too.....

Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Maybe try some lubricant on the edges of the throttle plate?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
I had this happen to me before. What it was for me was the spring on the throttle body wheel attaches to a plate so that when you let off the gas the spring will pull the throttle closed again. Well the spring came off the plate so when I gave it gas the throttle wouldnt completely close but if I gave the gas pedal a quick blurp it would be ok so Im guessing it just pushed the spring out of the way but from driving and moving the spring would make its way back to not letting the throttle close. Pull off your intake cover and have a look. long shot but you never know.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 AM
I'm having this Problem Right Now.

The Temperature dropped off this past week. It's been REAL COLD the last 3 days. I live in SC & I'm just not use to it being this cold & neither is my 99 F150. The Temp has been in the Teens & with the Wind Chill Factor it's around 5-10 degrees. If I jump in the truck start it up & take off down the road without warming it up (going home from work 6am). I will make it maybe a mile & the Throttle gets Stuck from FREEZING. Especially with the Cold Air blowing into the Engine Compartment. If I hold the Brake down till I'm going around 40mph for 4 or 5 miles the Engine compartment gets warm & it gets unstuck & I can move on down the road at 60mph. This sounds Crazy but my Throttle is literally Freezing. If I let my truck warm up for 15min (going to work) prior to driving it, it's doesn't stick. I don't have a Clue where or what I should Lube to prevent this, or what kind of Lube to use that wouldn't cause more problems.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Try removing and cleaning the throttle body.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasonsc1
The Temperature dropped off this past week. It's been REAL COLD the last 3 days. I live in SC & I'm just not use to it being this cold & neither is my 99 F150. The Temp has been in the Teens & with the Wind Chill Factor it's around 5-10 degrees. If I jump in the truck start it up & take off down the road without warming it up (going home from work 6am). I will make it maybe a mile & the Throttle gets Stuck from FREEZING. Especially with the Cold Air blowing into the Engine Compartment. If I hold the Brake down till I'm going around 40mph for 4 or 5 miles the Engine compartment gets warm & it gets unstuck & I can move on down the road at 60mph. This sounds Crazy but my Throttle is literally Freezing. If I let my truck warm up for 15min (going to work) prior to driving it, it's doesn't stick. I don't have a Clue where or what I should Lube to prevent this, or what kind of Lube to use that wouldn't cause more problems.
Post #8 of this thread and clean the throttle body

Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
When you remove the three bolts holding the cover on top of motor, the whole thing is in the open to check out.
Move the throttle by hand, is there a tendency to stick?
If yes you need to look at the possibility of the return spring disconnected or broken.
Check out the throttle cable for sticking. If yes apply some spray lube as there may be water in the sleeve.
Check out the Cruise control for hanging up off idle..
It's all common sense.
Good luck.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 AM
This is Not a Spring issue or Dirty Throttle Body

It ONLY Sticks when the Temperature is Below freezing. ONLY. It Never sticks any other time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Pedal keeps sticking!!!!